Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the spoils.



Everybody loves her lately. I get it. This album is pretty great. She's only 20. Blows my mind.

Also, I had an epic adventure today. I went to see Spike this afternoon. It is a gross understatement to simply call him my favorite professor. I don't know that anyone else has had such a profound effect on my beliefs and my goals. The man is brilliant and funny and just absolutely lovely. He was guest lecturing on Levi-Strauss in Mika's class today. It made me realize how much I miss school. I had been thinking for months now about asking him if he'd be willing to write me a letter of recommendation at some point in the future when I'm ready to apply to graduate programs. More than anything, I was just stoked to chat with him. I know it sounds trite, but I always felt like he and I had a bond. He used to say that I was somehow capable of reading his mind because I would answer questions just before he asked them. Anyway, I was trying so hard to play it cool and just chat about my plans and his work when he said, totally unprompted, that if I ever needed a letter, he'd be more than happy to write one for me. It made me want to jump up and down. I love him.

Then! Mika and I hit up the thrift store, and I scored a little black leather jacket, a navy blazer with gold buttons, a red and white striped henley, an adorable sweater, some radical crocheted vest-type thing, and some lavender wayfarer-looking sunglasses. All for $20! Today was my day. I think the universe is starting to pay me back for the past three months of total hell. And it's only up from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment